Transforming an organization’s performance doesn’t happen by simply redrawing boxes and lines on an organization chart. At Axiom, we help our clients achieve desired growth, profit and productivity by improving their ability to execute strategy through changes in business process, organization structure, governance and operating model.
Our approach to organization design is comprehensive and guided by five key principles
- Organization design should focus only on what truly drives value—We help our clients define the value drivers of their strategy and ensure that design efforts focus only on what will create and enhance this value.
- Always “start with the end in mind”—Design efforts begin with defining the quantifiable and tangible business improvement goals called out in an organization’s strategy. All design choices are weighed against their contribution to the achievement of these goals.
- Form follows function—Frequently, companies start design efforts by redrawing “boxes and lines” and asking the question: “What’s the right structure?” We firmly believe this is exactly the wrong place to start. The right question to ask is “What’s the work?” based on the requirements of the customer, the fundamental nature of the business and its strategy. Starting with the work ensures that design choices, structural and other, fully support its successful execution.
- Governance and operating model are central to organization performance—Most design efforts fail to understand and clarify how people within and across and organization interact to get the work done. They also fail to clarify how and who makes decisions. This often results in confusion, unproductive friction, and ineffective decision-making. Our approach “hard wires” the interactions required to get the work done efficiently and effectively. It also explicitly clarifies decision rights to ensure quality and timely decisions are made.
- There is no “best” design—A design that works well in one company, even in a similar industry, may not work for another company. We evaluate our client’s situation and deploy design solutions that recognize and leverage their company’s culture, core capabilities, current growth stage, and future focus.
Finally, we have seen time and time again that managing and implementing the change are as important as the design. From the start of an engagement, we help our clients identify, understand and manage the change, business risk and implementation efforts required to achieve and sustain desired performance improvement.