M&A consulting that helps clients successfully execute their M&A strategy.
Financial due diligence may inform the target purchase price or a merger or acquisition but it is no measure of the probability of the deal’s ultimate success. Our approach to M&A consulting looks at each opportunity through multiple lenses to see the real value—and identifies how to capture it.
Our M&A consulting work helps leaders answers the following key questions about post-merger integration:
- Where are the most valuable synergies?
- Which functions, infrastructure and processes should be integrated and to what degree, and what’s the right sequence?
- Who owns the integration of each key function and what measures will be used to define and assess integration effectiveness?
- How will newly acquired talent be assessed and deployed?
What level of cultural integration should be targeted to avoid productivity loss, retain talent and ensure realization of anticipated financial benefits?
The best post-M&A retention strategies are simple and effective. Advisers to senior management can make three tremendous contributions in that regard:
- Bring current, complete and reliable information to the table about key talent’s roles, skills, and capabilities and informal level of influence.
- Quickly compile the short list. Typically, a majority of the people who should be retained will be obvious choices. Identify them quickly and start focusing on the design and funding of the retention incentive program.
- Clarify decision rights for adding or removing potential participants from the plan. Establishing simple processes and using data to guide decisions can help speed the process and diminish the contentious debates that otherwise undermine decision-making.